Moving a survey from offline to online
Online surveys are surveys that are available in both Snap Desktop and Snap Online. They can be organised in folders that are shown in both applications. The online surveys are kept up to date and the response data synchronized between the two applications.
Offline surveys are surveys that are available in Snap Desktop only.
Your Snap Online account must be set up before you can use online surveys in Snap Desktop.
Summary of Steps
It is highly recommended that you archive the offline survey prior to moving it.
- In Snap Desktop, highlight the survey you wish to archive in the Survey Overview window.
- Click on to access the Archive Survey dialog.
- Snap will automatically generate a default file name and path, you can change these by clicking Browse
- In Options, select Include Raw Data to archive the raw data (.rdf file) as well. (If the raw data option is selected, then the .snpdf file is included in the archive file.)
- If you have archived the survey on an earlier occasion, you will be asked whether you want to replace it. Click Yes to replace the file.
- A message confirming the survey has been archived is displayed. Click OK.
Folders help to organise your online surveys. Creating your folders first allows you to create or transfer your online surveys to the place you want straight away.
- On the Snap toolbar, click Survey Overview which opens the Survey Overview window.
- On the Survey Overview toolbar, click Online Surveys to show the online surveys. When you open the online surveys for the first time there will only be a top level folder called Your work.
- Click on Your work then right click to show a popup menu and click New Folder.
- In the New Folder Name dialog, enter a name for the folder. In the example, Demo Surveys is entered as the new folder name.
- Click OK and the new folder is shown in the Survey Overview window.
- On the Survey Overview toolbar, click Offline Surveys to show the offline surveys.
- If you can’t find the survey you want to move, click Browse to locate your offline survey. When you find the folder containing the survey, select it and click open.
- In the Survey Overview window, select the offline survey that you want to move.
- On the Survey Overview toolbar, click Clone to create a copy of the offline survey. This copy is used to move your offline survey to an online survey, leaving the original offline survey untouched.
- In the Clone Survey dialog, select Online surveys to create the clone as an online survey. Select Also clone the raw data, if you want to transfer the survey with a copy of all the raw response data.
- Click OK and the New Online Survey dialog is displayed. In the New Online Survey dialog, you can change the name of the survey and select the folder location for your online survey.
- Enter the survey name, if required (for example, Crocodile XMP).
- Select the folder where your online survey will go (for example, Demo Surveys, the folder created in Step 1).
- Click OK. An information bar is displayed while the survey is cloned. Once complete the Survey Overview window switches to the online survey view with the new survey selected.
- You can now delete the offline version in the Offline surveys list.
Once you have moved the survey, you can use the online survey in both Snap Desktop and Snap Online. When you log into your account on Snap Online you can see the new folder and cloned survey.