A chart consists of
- information on how the data is analysed
- information on how the analysis is displayed
The chart is defined in the Analysis Definition dialog where the chart style is selected. The style template defines how the calculated data will be displayed. There are a number of pre-defined chart and table styles supplied with Snap Desktop. You can adapt these to your requirements using the Chart Designer or create new ones using the Chart Wizard.
The chart style is made up of three components:
- Layout defines how the chart is displayed; type of chart, axes and visibility
- Background defines the color or images used
- Series colors defines the colors used for the bars, lines, segments etc. on the chart
Once you have created a chart style, you can save it, and reapply it to other analyses. You can save the style components separately or together.
Note: The number of series colors in your style file will depend on the chart you have created it from. If you save a style from a chart with four bars (and four separate colors used to identify them) and apply it to a chart with seven pie slices, the colors will repeat.
Selecting a chart style
An easy way to select a style of chart analysis is to use the Select Analysis Style dialog. This displays examples of each style. The selected chart is highlighted.
- Click on Analysis Chart on the Snap toolbar.
- In the Analysis Definition dialog, click Select.
- In the Select Analysis Style click on the image of the chart or cloud style you want to use.
- If you can’t find a style click Browse to search for other style files.
- Select or clear Series, Layout and Background check boxes to select the parts of the style you want to use.
- Click OK to select the chart style.
The chart style can be adapted to your requirements using the Chart Designer. Alternatively, you can create new chart styles using the Chart Wizard.
- Make the changes you want to your chart.
- Press F2 or right-click your modified chart and select Save Style from the context menu.
- The Save Style dialog appears.
- Enter a name for your new style.
- There are three check boxes in Style parts: that determine what is saved with the style. Uncheck the layout box but leave the background and series box checked. This defines the fact that you only want to save the chart colors and background.
- Click OK to save your style.
By default your chart will be saved in the Snap Styles folder. If you wish to save to a different location, you will need to browse to the desired folder and then save your file.
Note: If you leave the layout box checked your saved style will have all the chart information, not just the background and colors, and you will overwrite the chart types if you load it to a different chart.