Saving and resuming mobile surveys
You can set up a mobile survey that runs in Snap Offline Interviewer and allows the interviewer to save responses and continue later.
The survey must include a Save button, which is specified in the Buttons section of the Questionnaire properties, for interviewers to be able to resume saved surveys at the question they were originally saved. Partial surveys can be submitted at a later time and are then included in any analysis.
This tutorial shows how to include a Save button in your mobile survey using Snap Desktop. It then describes how the survey behaves when the Save button is selected and the options available to the interviewer when managing the partial response. This tutorial assumes that you are familiar with creating and setting up a survey for use with Snap Offline Interviewer. If you are not familiar with this, you can find more information at Setting up surveys for interviewing with Snap Offline Interviewer before continuing.
Step 1: Including a save button in your survey
- In Snap Desktop, open the survey in the Questionnaire window (Design Mode) and select Questionnaire Properties
- Choose Buttons from the Section side menu and select Save from the list of buttons.
- Check the Use in survey box and click OK.
- There are buttons designed for mobile surveys supplied with Snap XMP. Click the Designs button to select a series of button images or click the Select button to change the image of the selected button.
- Now publish and upload your survey to Snap Online.
Step 2: Setting the survey to accept partial responses
You can select the option to collect all partial responses for your survey and decide, at a later time, whether to add them to your response data.
- In Snap Online, open the survey and click on the Collect tab. The Settings menu is shown by default. The Running partials status is shown in the Overview section.
- Click on the Change options button to display the Interviewing options dialog.
- The Running partial responses option determines whether the selected survey will keep partial responses. Select this option to allow partial responses to be saved. Make sure that Allow mobile interviewing is also selected.
- Click Save to save the changes.
NOTE: When multiple responses are enabled, partial responses are automatically disabled.
NOTE: Entries made on the current page or single page surveys may not keep partial responses even when Running partials is enabled because a partial response is saved when the respondent progresses to the next page.
Step 3: Saving a partial survey response
- Log into the Snap Offline Interviewer app on your device and the survey list is shown. If the survey hasn’t appeared in the list, tap on Sync to update the list of available surveys.
- Tap on the survey to start the interview.
- Tap the Save button during the interview. Snap Offline Interviewer will save your progress and open a new window to provide a name for your partial response.
- Enter a unique name for the saved partial response.
- Tap Save then tap OK on the confirmation message. This opens the Manage Partials page.
- Tap the arrow on the Manage Partials bar to return to the Survey List.
Step 4: Managing partial survey responses
If a survey includes partial responses, the following icon
will appear adjacent to the survey’s name in the Survey List screen.
Tap the survey in the list and the Manage Partials page is shown. Here, you can resume, submit or delete individual partial responses. It is also possible to start a new interview, submit all or delete all partials.
Resume a partial response
To resume a partial response, tap on the saved name of the partial.
The interview will begin from where it was saved. You can then continue and submit the response or save it again.
If you save the partial response again, you will overwrite the previous one. The name of the saved partial cannot be changed.
Delete a partial response
Press the Delete icon to delete the partial response.
Warning: This action cannot be undone.
Submit a partial response
Press the Submit icon to close the partial response and submit it to Snap Online.
The response will be synchronised according to the Synchronise settings.
Start a new interview
Select the New Interview icon on the bottom menu bar to start a new interview.
When you complete the interview, you will be returned to the Manage Partials page.
Delete all partial responses
Press the Delete All icon on the bottom menu bar to delete all partial responses.
Submit all partial responses
Press the Submit All icon on the bottom menu bar to close and submit all partial responses.
The responses will be synchronised according to the Synchronise settings.
If there is a topic you would like a tutorial on, email to firstname.lastname@example.org