Introduction to Survey Templates
A survey template is a powerful tool that can be used to quickly build a questionnaire with consistent branding, question styles, editions, languages and other questionnaire properties.
Survey templates provide the following features:
- set the colors, fonts, and other aspects of the look and feel of the questionnaire
- set the editions that are included in the questionnaire
- set up a questionnaire with multiple languages
- set the question styles available in a survey created with this template
- include specific questions that you want included in all surveys created with this template
- set questionnaire properties, such as buttons and landing pages that you want included in all surveys created with this template
- include survey logic , such as routing with any included questions
- include analytics and reports associated with any included questions
There are 2 types of survey templates:
- Snap Templates
- User Templates
Snap templates are supplied with Snap XMP Desktop and Snap XMP Online. They are included in the Reference SurveyPak supplied with Snap XMP Desktop. When a new survey is created the first step is to select a template from the list of available survey templates. This list includes all the supplied Snap Templates. There may also be User templates available if these have been set up.
User templates are user defined survey templates. These can be added to a SurveyPak which includes the user survey template in the list of available survey templates shown when creating a new survey.
Style and branding
Setting the style and branding for your organisation in a survey template help to provide a consistent look in every survey created with the same survey template. You can create different survey templates for different requirements, making it easier and more efficient to set up a survey without having to remember the correct branding for each situation.
Survey templates are edited using the Questionnaire window. All the functionality that you use to build your questionnaire is available to style a survey template.
- Adding a logo and other images
- Font selection, size and style including bold, italic, underline
- Text colors and highlighting
- Background color and graphics
- Using the same color palette across the survey including questions, analyses – charts, tables and word clouds, as well as reports
- Questionnaire layout including where questions are positioned, number of columns and spacing
The appearance of the questions can be changed to reflect an organisation’s branding:
- Set the colors of the question text, background, border, numbering
- Set the font selection, size and style including bold, italic, underline for the question text
- Set the style of check boxes by adding custom images
- Set the color of data picker icons
- Set the positioning, margins and column layout of questions
- Set question styles to change the appearance of all questions with that style
Questions that are included in a survey template are automatically added to a survey when it is created using the survey template. This is used to
- include standard questions that are always asked
- show standard sets of instructions
- create a custom login page
Certain calculations may be used in the organisation and required for each survey. Derived variables can be added to the survey template to include them each time a survey is created, removing the need to create the derived variables for each survey.
Setting the questionnaire properties provides further opportunity to customise the branding in the survey template.
- set the landing pages when the participant submits or saves the questionnaire
- set the button and progress bar style, color and layout
- set the page or screen size and layout
- include accessibility options
All the editions that are set up in the survey template will be available in a survey created using the survey template. For example, setting up a survey template with all the online editions such as phone, tablet, kiosk, laptop and PC with the appropriate screen sizes, ensures that surveys are created that can work on any device.
All the languages that are set up in the survey template will be available in a survey created using the survey template. This can make sure that any legal requirements are met by including the required languages, such as English and Welsh or English and Spanish.
Analyses and Reports
Standard analyses and reports can be created. Any analyses and reports that are included with the survey template can only include the questions and variables that are set up in the survey template.