Data entry using masks and auto answer
Masks define which options the respondent has available when answering a question, using information provided from a previous question. They are created in the questionnaire. They may be used for:
- unprompted/prompted questions
- asking follow-on questions about items mentioned in a list
- forcing a code within a list through the questionnaire whether or not it has been selected by the participant
- removing codes from subsequent ranking questions after they are selected by the participant
- Set up two identical questions where Q2 is a follow-on question to Q1.
- Select Q2 and click Variable Properties then enter Q1 in the Mask property. The mask enables only the answers selected in Q1 when entering the response in Q2.
- In the Data Entry window, the participant has given three answers for Q1.
- Q2 is a follow-on question where the answers the respondent gave to Q1 are enabled and the other answers are disabled.
Auto answer can be set on questions so that if there is only one possible response to the question, this answer is automatically selected and the next question is shown in the Data Entry window.
- Select Q2 and click Variable Properties then select Yes in the Auto answer property.
- There is only one answer selected in Q1. Press Enter and Q2 is automatically answered with the same selected answer. The next question is displayed.