Categorising quantity responses with a derived variable
The following example uses the Crocodile Rock Cafe Survey. A Derived Variable is set up to allocate the data for Q5 “How much did you spend in total?” into ranges.
- Click to display the Variables window.
- Click to add a new variable.
- Specify the Variable Details:
- Name: V5
- Label: Amount spent
- Type: Derived (the variable will derive its data from other existing variables).
- Response: Single (each respondent will only fall into one of the new codes).
- Specify the Code Details:
- Click to save the variable. The variable can then be used in tables and charts in the usual way.