Video and audio in a survey can provide the participant with more information than can easily be described in a written question. Showing the participant a variety of media can keep them engaged throughout the questionnaire.
Adding video and audio clips to your questionnaire can have many uses including:
- show a video clip of a new product
- improve accessibility using audio
- show a training video clip followed by test questions
- ask about a preference between different colour schemes in a logo or package design change
- listening to music in a test or quiz
In Snap Desktop, video and audio files can be inserted into your questionnaire, set to either automatically play when a page is viewed or when prompted by the participant. They can be added to both question text and choices.
- Open the survey in the Questionnaire window. Make sure that you are in Design mode and that the toolbar topic is set to Font.
- Place the cursor at the point where you wish to insert the audio or video. If it is not being included as part of a question then you may want to create an entirely separate question for this item. If so, the Title, Sub-title or Instruction question styles are the most suitable, as they do not require any response.
- Click on the Insert button and select Media Field from the menu. This opens the New media field dialog.
- In Url or File Path, enter the URL or file path or click Browse to select the file you want to insert.
- In Mime Type, select the media type of the file. Snap Desktop can recognise most multimedia file types.
- If you are inserting an audio file, you can choose an image to represent the audio file. The audio plays when users click the image. Click … to browse for an image file. (It is best to use an image file of the correct size, rather than re-sizing it.)
- Set the width and height for the file to display. This needs to be large enough to display controls for users to play a multimedia file. You may need to publish and preview the survey to get an accurate size.
- Set autoplay to true to play the file automatically when the user opens the page with it on, or false to play when activated by the participant.
- Click OK to add the file. The file is shown in the questionnaire. Double-click the file icon to edit the media field.
If you wish to change the size of the display, or the properties of the media object once you have inserted it, double click the file. This will open the New media field dialog box.
If you have a large media object, it may be too large to embed in the survey and then upload onto a server. In this case you must host the file on a server (or a site such as YouTube) and linking to it using HTML code rather than inserting the file directly. To do this insert a custom HTML field and enter code such as:
<iframe width=”425″ height=”349″ src=”http://www.youtube.com/embed/aaaaaaaaa” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>
in the New HTML Field dialog, replacing the YouTube URL with your appropriate URL.