This worksheet is for Snap 10 mobile interviewing surveys. If using the latest version of Snap Mobile anywhere, see the worksheet 102. Setting up surveys for Snap Mobile Anywhere.
Snap Mobile Anywhere allows you to enter responses to a published survey on an Android device (smartphone, tablet etc.).
You must publish an offline edition of the survey in Snap running on a PC desktop.
You can then synchronise your Android device with an account on a server. You add published surveys to the account and they are then downloaded to your device over the Internet. Responses are uploaded to the server.
To do this you need:
- A Snap WebHost account. WebHost is Snap’s online survey management and analysis system.
- A Snap Mobile Anywhere license.
- A Snap Mobile Anywhere App installed on your Android devices. The free Android App is available from Google Play
You must then:
- Publish the Offline:Tablet edition of your survey.
- Upload the published zip file to Snap WebHost.
- Log into your account on your Android device.
If you are do not have a connection to the internet (for example, you are in a communications blackspot) responses will be stored on the device until they can be uploaded.
You must set up Snap Mobile Anywhere with:
- researcher account name and license number for Snap WebHost
- a list of users and passwords.
When you open Snap Mobile Anywhere, it checks to see if there is an internet connection. If so, it logs into the synchronisation service on Snap WebHost and checks for surveys that need downloading. It checks again at regular intervals, so your surveys will be updated automatically.
When a questionnaire is completed, the response is sent up to the synchronisation service. Snap Mobile Anywhere checks regularly to see if there are responses that need to be synchronised.
Summary of steps
This worksheet describes how to use Snap Mobile Anywhere for an Android device. It assumes that you are adding an offline edition to an existing survey. (This allows you to combine the results from the Android device with the results from a paper questionnaire.)
- Upload your offline survey to Snap WebHost
- Start the survey on the Android device
- Download the response data and import it into Snap for analysis
Set up Snap Mobile Anywhere on your Android device
These instructions assume that you are setting up Snap Mobile Anywhere on a single Android device. You can also set up Snap Mobile Anywhere using the Snap Snap Mobile Anywhere Configuration Utility on your PC over a wireless connection.
- Start the Snap Mobile Anywhere app.
- Click the [Settings] button at the bottom of the screen.
- Press the [Clear All Settings] button to remove the default details.
- Enter your own details
Field Value URL
Snap synchronisation server Researcher Your username on the synchronisation server. (This is normally four or more digits, e.g. 9999/1) Provided in an email when you register for the Snap service Licence No: Your license login for the synchronisation server (This is in the format 99999S/999) Provided in an email when you register for the Snap service Username Local login name for Snap Mobile Anywhere. This ensures that surveys are not visible to all users. This is whatever you have set it up to be, e.g. HariDoe Set using the Snap Mobile Anywhere Config Utility or when Snap Mobile Anywhere is first used Password Local password for Snap Mobile Anywhere. This is whatever you have set it up to be, e.g. HDPassword Set using the Snap Mobile Anywhere Config Utility or when Snap Mobile Anywhere is first used
- When you have finished entering your details, click [OK].
Create and publish a tablet survey
- Open the Questionnaire window of your survey in Snap Professional.
- Click to display the Editions and Style Templates dialog box.
- Click [New] to create a new edition. A New Survey Edition dialog appears.
- Select Offline as the Publication Medium.
- Select Tablet from the second drop-down list for a tablet edition (select PDA for a smartphone/iPhone/PDA edition etc).
- The edition Name will change to Offline:Tablet. Change this if you wish.
- Select the Load Style radio button. The correct default style for that edition will appear in the selection list.
- Click [OK].
- The new edition of the questionnaire will have been added to the list on the Editions and Style Templates dialog.
- Click [OK] to return to the Questionnaire window.
- Select File|Publish to display the Publish Questionnaire dialog.
- Select Output in the left-hand column if it is not selected.
- Set the location where the survey is published and make a note of the location.
- Select Replies in the left-hand column.
- Select the Sync with server radio button.
- Click [Publish] to publish the survey.
Upload your offline survey to Snap WebHost
- Log into your account on Snap WebHost. When you have logged in successfully, Snap WebHost displays the list of surveys in your account.
- Select Upload a new survey to display the Upload new survey dialog.
- Browse to find the
.zipfile for the survey in the folder you specified as the Path when you published the survey.
- Click [Upload Archive] to upload the survey to Snap WebHost.
- When Snap WebHost has uploaded the survey, a message appears to confirm that the survey has been uploaded. Click the [Close] button. The list of surveys is updated, showing the new survey. Note that because it is not a Snap WebHost survey, you cannot click on it to examine it in Snap WebHost.
Start the survey on the Android device
- Start the Snap Mobile Anywhere app.
- If an account has been set up, log in. If you have an Internet connection, Snap Mobile Anywhere automatically checks to see if you have the latest versions of the available surveys.
- If you have logged in to your account you can:
- click the Options button at the bottom left to display the configurable settings. You would use these if you are leaving the survey to run unattended.
- click the Statistics button on the bottom bar to see the statistics on how many questionnaires have been completed.
- Open a survey by selecting it.
- To return to the list, click [Back]. If you have partially completed the questionnaire, you will see a warning message. Click [OK] to proceed.
To manually synchronise all surveys and responses with the server, click . Snap Mobile Anywhere attempts to synchronise at ten minute intervals if Auto-synchronisation is enabled.
Download the response data and import it into Snap Professional for analysis
When a survey is completed on the Android device, the completed response will be uploaded to the synchronisation service automatically.
- Log into your account on Snap WebHost. There will now be a new link to download Respondent Data.
- Click the Respondent Data link. A window opens giving you the option of downloading your data or deleting it.
- Click the Download completes link to download the responses. Save the file to your computer and keep a note of the folder where you have stored it.
- It is a good idea to have a standard folder into which you download response data for each survey. Note that, by default, the file will be saved under the name of the survey and the time/date of the download.
- Open the survey in Snap Professional.
- Open the Data Entry window for the survey and choose File | Import. The Data Import dialog appears.
- Set the Format to be MAIL format from text files.
- Set the Folder to be the same folder as specified when you downloaded the data from Snap WebHost.
- Click [OK] to import the responses.
This worksheet has described how to set up Snap Mobile Anywhere on your Android device, publish a survey suitable for the Android device from Snap Professional, run the survey on the Android device with Snap Mobile Anywhere and import the responses into Snap Professional.
For information about how to set up mobile interviewer with synchronisation for a smartphone/PDA, see Setting up Snap Mobile Anywhere.
For points to keep in mind when designing surveys for mobile devices, see the worksheet: Preparing surveys for smartphones.
If there is a topic you would like a worksheet on, email to email@example.com