Changing the look of the whole questionnaire
Changing the Page Settings
In Page Settings, you can change the page size or screen size. This changes the questionnaire page layout for online editions or page size for paper editions. In online editions the page size determines which edition is displayed on a device letting you produce adaptive questionnaires.
- In the Questionnaire window, change to the edition for the required output, for example, Paper, Phone or PC/Laptop.
- Click Questionnaire Properties to open the Questionnaire Properties dialog.
- In Section, select the Page section .
- Specify the width of the screen of the device that you are using in Width. The screen width will be different if the device in held in landscape and portrait mode, so choose the appropriate value.
- Click OK to save your changes.
If the questionnaire will be used on a specific devices then you can test the questionnaire works as expected on that device. Often, participants will use a variety of devices and you will need to test on a number of different sized devices to ensure the layout of each edition is correct.
Note that if you change the page size for one edition, it may affect which of the other questionnaires is delivered to a device.
Adding a background to your questionnaire
You can add backgrounds to your questionnaire from the Page section of the Questionnaire Properties dialog box.
Changing the background color
Click the Colour button, and select a color from the palette.
Adding a picture to the background of the text
- Click the Picture button. The Picture dialog appears.
- Click Browse and browse for the picture file you wish to use.
Specify how it is to be aligned, stretched and whether gifs are to be colorized. (Note that you cannot scale picture backgrounds used in Web surveys)
You can also change the questionnaire background by selecting Background in the toolbar topic list in Questionnaire Design Mode, and then selecting (Page) from the list
Adding headers and footers to a paper questionnaire
You can add additional text and graphics to the header and footer of the first page and, optionally, all subsequent pages.
- Click to display the Questionnaire Properties dialog. The Page section should be selected automatically.
- Click the Header/Footer button to display a Headers/Footers dialog.
- Check the relevant boxes to specify whether the headers and footers are to appear on the first page and/or subsequent pages.
- The header and footer each consist of the three areas (left, centre and right). The header/footer may contain:
- free format text
- variable fields
- survey fields
- date and time of printing or publication
- To insert a field click Insert and choose from Image, Variable Field, Survey Field or Date/Time Field from the menu. You can also select a Survey Field from the drop-down list in the top left corner in the dialog toolbar.
- The contents can be formatted using the format buttons and fields at the top of the dialog to set the font name, size, style and color. The justification is fixed for each area.
Changing the look of the buttons for an online questionnaire
The type and style of the buttons of your pages are defined in the Questionnaire Properties dialog. You can set them to be a default button, with or without text, or a graphic you have added yourself.
- Click to display the Questionnaire Properties dialog box.
- Select in the left-hand panel to display the buttons properties.
- Select a button in the button list that you wish to display on your web page
- Click the Use in survey box to add it to the web page
- If you wish to use your own image, or an image from a different design set for a button, click Select Image to browse for an image for that button.
- Choose a style for your buttons by clicking Design. This will open the Navigation Design dialog.
- Select button colors and design, and whether you are using a toolbar and process bar.
- Click OK when you have finished. The selected design will apply to all buttons.